hether you’re a student in a dorm or just maybe living in an over-priced apartment in a metropolitan area, you know the struggle with how to make a small room look bigger is oh-so real. From bedrooms that are barely big enough to fit a bed, to living rooms that have to accommodate a dining area, a home office, and a TV, fitting everything you need into a small space definitely isn’t an easy task. That said, there are plenty of easy solutions which will help make your small space look more inviting, increasingly multi-functional, and utterly chic, all at the same time.
Here, our 25 favorite tips for making a small room look bigger.
1. When adding drapes to a room, make sure they’re the same color as your walls. Sticking to the same color will make your space look bigger. Another trick is to go with sheer drapes.
2. Take advantage of natural light as much as you can, which will open up your space.
3. Opt for sofas and armchairs that are raised on legs, which creates a sense of light and space.
4. De-clutter relentlessly if you live in a small space. If you haven’t used something in a year—or wouldn’t buy it now—get rid of it.
MORE: The Best Adult Home Decor Under $50
5. Think in a color palette that’s light and neutral, which will expand your space visually.
6. Go for fabrics and rugs in small prints or plain colors. Unified colors will visually expand a small room.
7. Buy multi-functional furniture, such as ottomans, which can be used as both a coffee table and extra seating, all at once.
8. Include mirrors in your space! The reflection will make a room look bigger.
9. There’s an old rule that small furniture in a small space is the way to go, but a few larger pieces of furniture in a small room will often make it look bigger.
10. Consider adding floor-to-ceiling or wall-to-wall bookcases. This trick will expand how high your ceilings look, plus it’s a great way to add storage.